Hiking – Waterfalls – The Lakes
- Finger Lakes National Forest is New York State’s only National forest it encompasses 16,259 acres of Seneca and Schuyler counties, sitting on a ridge – called the backbone – between Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake. We have hiked the trails and will provide you with recommendations and maps. The Hector Ranger Station is located at 5218 State Route 414, Hector NY about 15 miles from the Manor.
- Montezuma Audubon Center We are happy to partner with the Montezuma Audubon Center which is located at 2295 State Rt. 89 in Savannah, NY. The Center houses a large indoor exhibit area, five different types of habitat, an observation platform, snowshoe and canoe/kayak rentals, and two-miles of hiking trails on 198 acres. This is an awesome hike year-round as the forests, wetlands and grasslands provide resting, feeding, and nesting habitat for nearly 300 migratory bird species. The Center leads birding tours in their van, canoe/kayak excursions, snowshoeing tours, and nature hikes for all ages and abilities. Contact Chris Lajewski, Center Director, at 315-365-3588 for a private, two-hour birding excursion for a donation or call us directly to facilitate a tour for you.
- Watkins Glen State Park has 19 waterfalls along the streams course which descends 400 feet past 200 foot cliffs through the gorge. You can experience the dramatic landscape on the Indian, South Rim or Gorge Trails. We can provide you with a map and help you decide which is your best path. The park is open year around. There is a shuttle which runs from the 3 entrances: Main – 1009 Franklin St Watkins Glen, NY South – 3530 Route 419 Watkins Glen, NY Upper – 3310 Route 409 Watkins Glen, NY
- Hector Falls is a beautiful and gigantic waterfall that tumbles over a broad expanse of shale and limestone rock as it makes its way to Seneca Lake. It is accessible from the an overlook on Rt. 414. If you prefer, you can also see it from the water if you rent a kayak or take Captain Bills Seneca Lake Boat Tour.
- Taughannock Falls State Park is one of New York States outstanding natural attractions. The Falls plunge 215 feet past rocky cliffs that tower nearly 400 feet above the gorge. The Overlook is open year around. There are multiple hiking trails. Gorge Trail: 0.75 miles along the creek to the base of the falls is easy and open year around. Moderate trails are along the North and South Rims are 1.5 and 1.125 miles respectively. Open April – October.
The Lakes – The Manor is located equidistance from both Cayuga and Seneca Lake in Ovid, NY.
- Cayuga Lake is the longest of the Finger Lakes at just under 40 miles. Along with swimming, you can beach comb for lake glass or Odin stones. The stones were treasured by the ancients for when you look through the small hole you will see fairies. Cayuga Lake State Park is on the western shore at 2678 Lower Lake Road, Seneca Falls.
- Seneca Lake is the largest of the glacial Finger Lakes and is the deepest within the state at 618 feet. It is host of the National Lake Trout Derby and considered a premier fishing location. There are many public beaches, fishing access and boat launches.
- Sampson State Park encompasses nearly 2,000 acres including 5.5 miles of lake front. The park is within a few minutes of the Manor located at 6096 Rt 96A, Romulus.
- Lodi Point Marine Park located at 8403 Old Lake Rd in Lodi is 4.7 miles from the Manor. This state park is 12 acres and open year around. There is a convenient boat launch and fishing access